Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Scale Doesn't Lie.... Weigh In Day

Throughout my entire process I've always had so much anxiety about weigh in day! I put so much pressure on myself each week to "beat" the previous week. I think this must be the competitive side of me... :) I always feel like the number on the scale represents success or failure, which is absolutely not the case! I'm slowly learning that as long as I try my best, the number doesn't really matter. At my meetings we often talk about "non scale" victories, which quite frankly are just (if not more) important that the magic "number". I still remember many of my first changes long before I lost a significant amount of weight. Such as, the first time I could shave my legs without having to push my gut in to bend over, laying in bed without having to tuck my sheets inbetween my chins to watch tv, or not having to stuff my back fat in my bra to prevent rolls to show through my shirts. Those changes were so powerful, and definitely pushed me to want to keep going!!

Over the last few months I've really slowed down with losing pounds, but my inches continue to go down more and more!! Staying positive and understanding that this process does not happen overnight is truly the key the long lasting success!

Everyone has a different "weigh in" routine, and none are right or wrong. I weigh in every Thursday afternoon, its how I started and I prefer to keep it the same time each week. I'm only human, so in the beginning of my journey I have been known to eat minimal or wear very little to weigh in, in hopes that it would magically change my number. Guess what, it doesn't. Its silly to try and trick the scale! If you're doing what you need to be doing, than there's no reason to. This is my typical Thursday routine before I weigh in:

1. I eat a normal breakfast, consisting of fresh fruit and my daily cup of coffee
2. I eat my normal snacks before lunch, usually baby carrots
3. I eat a light lunch by noon, like a sandwich with fat free yogurt & light string cheese
4. After I get off work, I do about 45 minutes of cardio
5. I wear the exact same thing each week, a pair of yoga pants and a tank top
6. I weigh in around 5ish, I always bring a snack for right after. Let's face it I'm starving at that point!

When I am done weighing in, its like I can breathe easy again for six more days. And to be honest,if I know I don't have a special event over the weekend I usually pig out a little bit that night :) What can I say, I'm human!

Though my anxiety levels have gone down with the thought of weighing in each week, I am still getting there...knowing that I worked hard and ate right makes me "ok" with whatever the outcome is.

With that said, today was my weigh in day and with Easter this past week I knew it wasn't going to be great. I was pleasantly surprised that I stayed exactly the same!! Yipppeeeeee!! :)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, that all sounds like a dream to me! Thanks again for that earlier post - I'm definitely starting to put those little tips into practice. I definitely understand all those difficulties you mentioned with the body fat - so uncomfortable.

    One thing I'm having a difficulty with is the taste of fat-free foods - do you have any hints on dealing with liking the taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found the tips helpful! Thanks for the feedback :) I wish I could say something to make fat free foods an easy transition, but to be totally honest this was one of my most difficult challenges. I always had a preconceived notions that I hated the taste, so I was automatically turned off by it. But once I started reading labels/nutrition facts, it was an easy choice to make. There are some foods that I will not eat because I just can't stand the taste (fat free shredded cheese) so I'll compromise and get reduced fat instead. After a VERY short time, my taste buds got used to the change and now I prefer it. So just be patient and give it a try, realize that by making small changes like that you will eventually want it no other way :)

    ReplyDelete