Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Love of a Great Dog

Jack December 2006 - June 2011


Five years ago, I brought my mom to a dog breeder's home to pick up her new puppy. I walked in and immediately saw this very dark puppy that was distinctly different from the rest. He came right up to me, and I held him while my mom finished up her paperwork. I couldn't put him down! I knew I just had to have him, though we were not prepared for a puppy and had no intentions on getting one I some how convinced my husband to let me bring him home! Welcome home Jack!!! Jack was a Morkie (Maltese/Yorkie), and was a little less than two pounds the day I brought him home. He was a good dog from the start. He had such a personality! He was sure he was a large dog, very protective of us and his territory.

Through the years of his life, he molded into more than just a dog. He was a part of our family, and is the main reason I started walking one year ago. Him and I bonded so much during our many many walks/runs, he kept me company and pushed me to keep going even when I was ready to give up. He loved to walk with me! All I had to do was grab my wind pants and he knew it was time, he'd start jumping around and running back and forth until I grabbed his leash. During our long walks, he pranced around with this look of absolute fulfillment. I would praise him and talk to him, he was so happy. It was funny to see this little eight pound dog think he was 100lbs trying to take on the larger dogs in our neighborhood! That was just Jack :)

Two days ago, we suddenly lost our Jack. He was tragically taken from our life, and it will forever change us. I am not sure when I'll be able to face going for a walk without my partner. Our house feels empty without him here! I never knew how hard this would be. His loyalty to me and my whole family was unbelievable, he was a great dog and will be missed. My family is heartbroken, and it will take us a while to move on from our loss. I feel that without jack, I'm not sure I would've continued walking, I truly did it because he motivated me to want to do it.

There is nothing greater than the love of a dog, rip Jacky, Wacky Jacky, Jackers...


No comments:

Post a Comment